How To Keep Ants Away From Your Orange Property
June 15, 2021 - Ants
If there were a pest that could get away with murder, it would be the ant. Property owners regularly ignore these small, strong, and invasive insects and pass them off as a common problem. Have you ever seen one of these bugs crawling around your kitchen and thought to yourself, "it's not that big a deal," only to find dozens of ants trailing by hours later? If you are done underestimating ants and ready to take the needed steps to keep these pests off your Orange County property, there are some things you should know.
What Ants Live In Orange County
Numerous species of ants live in the Orange County, CA area. Thankfully, not all invade homes or cause trouble on properties. The four species that cause problems are Argentine ants, imported fire ants, rover ants, and carpenter ants.
Here is a basic breakdown of each of these pests and the problems they cause in our area.
- Argentine Ants: The Argentine ant is everything you would expect from a home-invading pest. These 1/16 to 1/4 of an inch long, dark brown to black, shiny insects send scouts into homes and businesses to search for food. They will leave a pheromone trail for other workers to follow to a new food source; this regularly leads to trails of these pests crawling through living areas. The good news is that Argentine ants pose no real threat to human health.
- Imported Fire Ants: Imported fire ants do not regularly invade homes. What makes these pests a huge problem is how territorial they are. If they feel like you have come too close to their nest, fire ants will attack, biting and stinging until you go away. These dark reddish-brown, 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch long pests deliver painful stings laced with burning venom.
- Rover Ants: Rover ants are like most other ants in that they invade homes to search for food and water. What makes them unique is how quickly they will build their nest indoors. Colonies constructed inside wall voids may have members in the thousands. Rover ants have pale yellow to blackish-brown, 1/16 of an inch long bodies.
- Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants are the most problematic species of ants in our area. These destructive pests build their nests into structures of wood, causing extensive damage over time. They also regularly come inside to steal food and water. These large insects have long, red, black, or red and black bodies that are 5/8 of an inch long.
Prevention Tips For Ants
Knowing how to identify ants is great. Knowing how to keep these pests out of your living areas is crucial. Here are just a few tips and tricks our experts recommend you use.
- Keep your living areas clean and clutter to a minimum.
- Wipe up drink spills and pick up food messes as they occur.
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Seal your home's exterior.
- Store leftover food away in airtight containers.
- Clean out your pet's food bowls after every meal.
- Reduce clutter and eliminate debris around your yard.
A Great Answer To Ants
Most people do not have the time to handle ants on their own. If you would like an easy solution that will get and keep these pesky and sometimes dangerous pests out of your Orange County home, look no further than Black Diamond Pest Control. Our team of trained technicians works hard every day to make sure residents in our area are protected from annoying, dangerous, and destructive pests like ants.
Call us today to schedule your Orange County home for a detailed inspection.